Monday

Fall back.

This past weekend we experienced the switch back to standard time. We became time travelers, falling back an hour and getting to use it all over again. As I was thinking about this, several things arose in my mind. When you “spring ahead” you lose an hour. When you “fall back” you gain an hour. However, moving ahead too quickly can be intemperate, and while stepping back can give you time to think, get a better handle on things, and a fresh perspective, you have lost ground. No matter what you do, it comes at a price that needs to be considered.

As I was jotting down some thoughts this past weekend, a group of people walked by, laughing and having a happy time. I chuckled at something one of the people said, and then they noticed I was writing and became concerned that I was recording them. After I explained what I was doing, they moved on, much more quietly, and it got me thinking. Why do we not want to be noticed? Why do we not think we are important enough to have our deeds recorded like the heroes of old? Why has it become something to be scared of? Has our behavior changed so that we are no longer heroic? Or is it that we only record non-heroic deeds to humiliate and embarrass? Is it our priority to knock down or is it to build up? What is our focus?

When I was still in the classroom, I noticed that when I praised good behavior, it was generally repeated. I don’t want to pretend that I never wrote referrals, but the power of the positive was astounding. It even works on yourself. Be positive. Be prepared for things to be less than perfect, but proceed and base your outlook as if things will work out for the best, and they will. You almost always find what you are looking for.

And next spring, you are not losing an hour, smile as you leap an hour closer to summer.

7 comments:

Kim said...

To celebrate all of the accomplishments should be our focus, yet, in many districts the consentration and focus is on the areas where improvement may be warranted. This profession is difficult, stressful, time consuming, and laborous. It is also joyful, fullfilling, energizing and rewarding. Wouldn't it be great if all the energy was put into the positive? Imagine the accomplishments that would occur and the satisfaction each of us would take from them.

Susan said...

It's great to see WEA leadership reaching out to membership using a blog. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

lMike...I love your analysis of spring forward one hour in order to get closer to summer. I will surely remember this in the spring time.

Kitty D. said...

Hey, brother. I didn't know you were a 13 year teaching veteran. Me too!
Whenever we "spring forward," I decide that, as I am losing an hour, the world owes me an hour of my life. Therefore, I am safe from my own demise, as I REFUSE to leave the earth while it owes me an hour!. Now that I've gotten it back, I have to be a bit more careful.
You know, I could have been a lot more philosophical than that, but hey, that's what this makes me think right now, and it's Friday afternoon.
--Kitty D.

Kitty D. said...

Hey, brother. I didn't know you were a 13 year teaching veteran. Me too!
Whenever we "spring forward," I decide that, as I am losing an hour, the world owes me an hour of my life. Therefore, I am safe from my own demise, as I REFUSE to leave the earth while it owes me an hour!. Now that I've gotten it back, I have to be a bit more careful.
You know, I could have been a lot more philosophical than that, but hey, that's what this makes me think right now, and it's Friday afternoon.
--Kitty D.

Ryan said...

Mike,

As I write this comment I'm sitting in the lab at headquarters learning about the new communication initiatives. It's great that we now have a blog presence, and I look forward to reading it in the future!

--Ryan from Medical Lake--

alan said...

Thank you for embarking on this journey (blogging) and sharing your thoughts.

I was at the Awareness to Action conference on November 28th in SeaTac and we heard a few things clearly from students. The one that seems appropriate to your comments is the one that was stressed the most: A positive relationship between student and an educator is the key factor for student success and for keeping students in school.

Building relationships has often taken a sideline in society and in education. The manufacturing model will not work for education and we all know that instinctively, but the pressures of accountability and sanctions (from NCLB)cause us to forget the importance of taking the time to build relationships. The students also pointed out that educators are not given enough time to build those relationships and the class sizes are too large to reach out during class time.

Keep up the good work supporting public education and WEA members.