Wednesday

Being thankful ...

For some strange reason, I started thinking about Thanksgiving this past weekend.

If Thanksgiving Day is really about giving thanks for our blessings and we are truly thankful, why only do it on that day?

My son will be coming home from the navy soon. It always bothered him when people would thank him for serving in the military. He didn’t do it for them, he did it for himself. And while he is serving his country, he is doing the best job he can. If others happen to benefit from his efforts, that is OK with him.

I did not get involved with the union for gratitude. I did it because I saw injustice and could not stand on the side. I am still surprised when I am thanked for my hard work on behalf of educators. I don’t do it for the thanks. I do it for me, because I must if I want to live with myself. I believe it is the right thing to do. How about you? Are you an educator to get thanks or because you believe in the greater good of public education? If there are any educators who entered the profession for riches or adulation, I have never met them. The ones I’ve met believe in the importance of educating our youth, and public education.

Still it is a moving experience to receive a thank you from a student.

It is a nice surprise to be thanked for doing what you believe in. And don’t forget to thank others for what they do. It makes every day thanksgiving day. Thank you.

No comments: