Thursday

Life: The best storybook.

Not too long ago, someone told me they enjoyed reading my blogs and especially the way I used stories to make a point. You can learn a lot from hearing another person’s perspective. I know I like to use analogies when explaining concepts so it was an unconscious choice to talk about my thoughts using stories. After all, our lives are really the best stories. Each one of us should be our own favorite story. As we see it, it’s called our autobiography. As others see us is a biography. And which is more accurate really depends on your point of view. Sometimes people turn ahead in a novel to see how it ends, but I have never heard anyone say they just had to see how a biography ends, that the suspense was too much. And of course, with an autobiography, the book may end but the story goes on.

So how is your story coming along? The end is not critical; it will be as it turns out. The most important part is today. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow does not exist yet. All you have to work with is today. Since it is your story, make it a good one. Notice the details; they are what make a story come alive. Breathe. How does that make you feel? What aromas do you detect? Me? Right now I see the split end of a mustache hair that is poking out into my field of vision.

It is evening, and so I need to rest up for tomorrow. I may live in today but if I want a glorious adventure tomorrow, I need to be prepared. I don’t know exactly what will happen, but I will prepare the best I can and enjoy the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

Happened upon your blog while looking for educational statistics sites. Great writing, practical philosophy, warm tone.

I've recently gotten heavily involved in my local elementary school Parent Teacher Association and got curious about how countries and states other than my own (California) do on standardized tests as compared to various factors. As a fellow engineer, you may enjoy looking at some of the charted results at:

http://www.supportingevidence.com/Education/Education_landing.html

These images speak volumes to me about what's important in a good education. While I've got much more to research and understand, I'd value your feedback on these charts, both as a engineer and an educator.

Keep on blogging-- it's great to see well-reasoned comments out in the blog-o-sphere.

Warm Regards,

Scott Gibson
www.supportingevidence.com
'worth a thousand words'